Sunday, May 17, 2009

Where the Past Meets the Future
















What a great weekend! Justin and I just got back from a George, Washington (funny name for a town huh), home of the nicest music venue I have ever been to. It is about 4 hours from Bellingham over the mountains in the central Washington desert. We went to see the Allman Brothers and Grateful Dead (what is left of them). The day could not have been nicer. The weather was about 80 with no humidity and the amphitheater sits on top of desert cliffs overlooking the Columbia River. It was a great weekend but I could not help but notice that I was not the only hippie that had grown up.

Instead of beaters with stickers, the parking lot was filled with thirty and forty year olds in SUVs, Subarus, and Acuras. The only kids I saw were accompanied by their hippie parents, patchwork clothing was keep to a minimum, and few spinners in sight. Nevertheless I still think I was one of only a few sober fans. We set up near the bathrooms (my weak bladder would have it no other way), I came prepared with tons of snacks, and at Justin’s wise recommendation stayed clear of concert food. I did have one hippi women grope my belly, but that seems about par for the course now a days. Overall I feel good and I looking forward to Pop and cousin Doug on the west coast next week. Until then, thanks for reading.